Well, I have been having some bloggers block recently. I have four different posts started in Word, and I have yet to like or finish any of them. So, I figured I would give whatnot wednesdays my first shot. [it is wednesday, right?]
- Happy Leap Day! I think it's supposed to bring you luck, right? So I'm sending out two job applications today. One back in Chicago, which would be awesome, and one in the UK which I am qualified for according to the job description, but I mostly sent in my application for the LOLs. The job in Chicago's job description fit me to a T, and writing about it makes me nervous because I feel like I'm going to jinx it, but I figure leap day will counteract jinxes. And, I haven't written about any other job that I've applied to and that hasn't made any difference, so... who cares?
- It's T-8 days until my long LA weekend. I've mentioned this trip before, but it's for one of my high school BFFs - we were a very tight group of five and all five of us are making the trip out to California. I have been friends with her since we were 14 years old, and I'm so excited to celebrate with her next weekend, and in May at her wedding. We're staying at a condo on Venice Beach and going to some wine tastings in Malibu. And, the kicker is that this will be my first time away from my family since we became three. I spent one night away from Mia-boo when we went to Paris, but this time, she'll be spending the weekend with her Papa. B is pretty nervous and I can only imagine his terrified face when I drive off into the sunrise on Friday morning, but everything will go well, of course. As for me, we'll see how I handle myself being away from my little munchkin, with whom I manage to spend 24 hours a day with since my Mom went back to China.
- I'm thinking about covering up a tattoo that I got of a little chili pepper on my shoulder blade when I was 18. I have no idea why I went with a chili pepper, but I liked it at the time and throughout college. Now, ten years later, it's faded and no longer cute. I've been thinking about getting Mia's initials (MJC) in a scrolly-monogrammy letters to cover it up. I hesitate for a couple of reasons. 1) B doesn't like tattos. I have two, and I don't think that covering one up counts as a third, so he should be fine with it. 2) If I have another baby at somepoint down the line, I'll kind of have to get that one's initials tattoed, right? And I don't particularly want another tattoo. I just want to replace this one that I no longer like.
- I've been knitting. A lot. In the past month, I've made a cable sweater (I finished the one I had initially written about a while ago), and two little blouses for Mia. Right now, I'm making another little summer top out of a beautiful cotton yarn. I think about making clothes for other people's children too, but I don't know that they would like that. Would you like it if someone gave you some handmade clothing for your child? Below is one of the blouses, that looks more like a vest, and the other is a close up of the stich I am currently working on.
- We've made some progress on the whole sleeping front. We've continued the Ferber method to put her to sleep, but if she wakes up in the middle of the night, we've taken to sitting in her room and singing to her until she falls asleep. We used to pick her up and just plop her down in our bed. Lazy parenting = bad sleep habits. Last night, she actually slept from 8:30pm - 7:00am. It was amazing, and I work up at 6:30 wondering what the eff happened to me. Nothing, apparently.
- B and I have been watching Mad Men. We had initially tried the first season last year, when we first arrived in Las Vegas. When we moved here, we had a terrible experience with our movers, and our stuff didn't get to our apartment until we had already been there five days. We went to Target and bought the first season of Mad Men on DVD to watch and pass the time. We both disliked it. A lot. We picked it up again on Netflix, and whether it had something to do with the circumstances, or the first season just wasn't that good, we like it now. A lot. We're just starting season three, and hopefully we'll be able to catch up.
- In addition to the knitting, B and I have turned very domestic as of late. It's a good thing, really. We've been keeping up with the dishes, the cooking, the laundry, and everything else. This may not seem like much to all of you put together people out there, but this is a big accomplishment for us.
- Lastly, I'm giving the whole low-carb thing another go. After a memorable meal of Five Guys for dinner, I've had an egg and mushroom scramble for breakfast and a shrimp salad for lunch. I'm heading to the grocery store on the way home and making a turkey chili. Yums.
- And also, this:
Need to clear your head? Write your own Whatnot Wednesday post and link up below so that we can all see the randomness that fell out when you rinsed your brain.