Monday, February 13, 2012

Four day work weeks

Well, it's happened. I've gotten my hours reduced to four days a week. It was very unceremonious, actually. I was on the phone, and our Clinical Director called and left a message letting me know, and that my off day couldn't be friday, since I was already the only one coming to the office then, and someone needed to be around. I'm going to try for Mondays, so I can still have three consecutive days, but I guess the Clinical Director wants me to take Thursdays.

Luckily, I already had my freak out about something similar to this last week, so now, I'm trying not to be sad and be practical. I'll call one of my student loan companies to ask for a deferment, which should make up about half my pay cut, and make other budgetary cuts to make up the difference. It looks like moving is now 100% out of the question, so we'll embrace it by making our current apartment more liveable. I'll take a page out of Attorney At Large's book , and we'll get rid of some impractical furniture, de-clutter and open up our living space. If we have to stay in our not great apartment, we might as well make the best of it. Spring and summer are coming, and at least we've got a  pool we can enjoy soon without spending any money (except on sunblock!).

It turned out that Mia's Mommy-Only weekend turned out to be Roseola. She had a fever at work on Monday, and it spiked overnight to about 103. First-time mommy that I am, I was at the pediatrician at 8:45, 15 minutes after they opened. They had no answers for me except that she had a fever since she had no other symptoms, and if it persisted for 3 more days, to come back. On the 3rd day, exactly as the Roseola article said, she broke out in her Roseola rash, and her fever totally went away. We had a nightmare couple of days, but I was relieved to see those red spots. They were a bit disconcerting, but she was perfectly happy as soon a they broke out. Since I was the only one in the office still working full time, I am hoping the fact that last week was only a two day work week for me didn't have anything to do with the decision.


Before


and after.

I may not be freaking out, but that didn't stop me from combing through the new job listings on my school's website, and I've got four applications to prepare on my "day off". At least the Bachelor's on tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment