Friday, August 5, 2011

Worky Work

I am lucky because I work in an office so casual, that my bosses comes into my office looking for the baby. When she's not here, he asks, in a worried tone: "Where is the baby?"

When I was pregnant, I stressed and stressed about what I would do about being a working mom, and how I and the baby, would deal with being apart for so much of the day. So, after talking to my boss, and a few co-workers, all of whom suggested that I forget about daycare and bring Mia to work. Yeah, I know me, and I've been around babies before, and I know enough that if I ever want to get anything done, that is not an option. Most weeks, B works on saturdays and gets a weekday off, so that's 4 days. I still wanted her to spend a majority of her time with us, so I decided that every friday would be my take your daughter to work day.

Guess what?? Todays' friday!


My co-worker took this when walking by my office and laughing. I agree, it's funny that Mia is just happily sitting on my papers while I take notes. I am actually able to get a few things done, as long as she is sleeping, or awake and in a good mood. Admittedly, I have yet to be in the office from 9-5 on a day that Mia comes with, but today, I stayed until 3:30, and that's pretty much the time that I start to daydream anyway.

So, it's not terribly glamourous. My desk is messy. I have a bouncy chair on my shelf. I even put up a curtain so that I can close my door and pump a few times a day. I used to fantasize about working BigLaw, and getting the BigSalary. During law school, I pictured my future self walking into work with a purpose in my heels, a giant coffee and my blackberry. I got something else entirely, and on days when it's acceptable for my baby to be sitting on my files while I work, I can't imagine anything better.

1 comment:

  1. Its heartening to know that there are options out there where one can work and still be a mom. What a great picture!

    ReplyDelete