Just a [not so] brief listing to give you an idea of that loud world around me:
- Tybalt is 2.5 and not talking yet. We have started seeing a speech therapist and developmental specialists. All say he is very smart, quick, and either on par or advanced in ever other aspect. But speech is a problem that needs to be dealt with. 1) I worry about my little boy. 2) I feel like the worst mom in the world. Only Frenchie and B, and our fellow best friends J&D (see "host" and "host's wife" in entries such as when Terror almost sets the house on fire) who are Tybalt's Godparents are aware of this. A friend posted something on Facebook the other day that made me think: She basically said, "Why is it when you child can't/won't do the one thing they should and every other kid around them their age and developmental level can, the biggest dose of mother guilt sets in and you feel like the worst mother ever?" I know I love my son and give him practically every opportunity we can. I know he's very smart in general. So why the frick is he not speaking? And why can't I shake the feeling that it is somehow my fault?
- My lawsuit against the medical facility we are claiming was allegedly negligent in my care, resulting in a Stage IV bedsore and permanent damage, is coming along. (I don't actually know how much I can say.) I don't know how much progress, that's like OZ behind the curtain, but I did my deposition last July and am waiting to probably be called in again, and Romeo and his mom were deposed this week. I know that this blog is a member of a MILP line-up. You are all probably thinking that depositions and trials (if no settlement is reached first, my tentative first day of court is in November) should be the least of my worries. Well, what can I say? I don't deal with any of this regularly on a daily basis. And while I knew in deciding to pursue this case it would get difficult, as the plaintiff I had NO real, actual, serious idea of the nerves, the jump my heart makes from chest to stomach every time my lawyer's phone number appears on my caller ID with a new update or question.
- We are buying a house. Fantastic! Great! It's about time! And we got pre-approved for like $50 grand more than we want to spend because we know how we prefer to budget our money. So that put us in a particular bracket of housing, that in Las Vegas, is low on inventory because cash investors are buying them all up. Doesn't matter if a good, hard working family like ours will ever get to live in one. The investors just want them for business. So shopping and finding something we wanted was more rough than we thought it would be. But we couldn't wait any longer. Home prices in Las Vegas have gone up something like 20% since January 2012, and continue to rise. That, plus the reduced inventory means you have to view houses in the morning and make bids by the afternoon. We finally got a bid accepted. We are OVERJOYED! I should correct that--Romeo is. I am oh, let's just say "cautiously optimistic " For once, I sincerely want to be overjoyed! I want to be throwing items in boxes willy nilly and doing my own silly version of some victory end-zone touchdown dance. Finally, I will be living in a place that doesn't have an apartment, suite, or dorm number! For me, a 28 year-old coming straight off of that, it is huge and a dream come true. Even if it sounds odd or petty to anyone else. Guess I should throw out an apology just in case. We are currently in escrow. I know very few close friends who have bought a house, so I don't know if it's urban legend or what, but I've heard of multiple cases where people enter escrow and then never close escrow and get the house. If any of you readers know why, can you help? My only gut feelings would be that these stories are before the big economical crash, so people were being pre-approved quickly for mortgages and entering escrow just to find out that the lender didn't approve them properly or at all and thus the money is not there. Or, that the families never bothered going through the pre-approval process, started to shop for houses, found one they fell in love with, tried to secure approval on a mortgage then, and didn't qualify. Am I right on any of these situations? What are some other reasons escrows fail and never close? Anybody know? At least in our situation, none of that should be the case. We have hit at least one major road block (keep reading) but we are completely pre-approved for our mortgage loan by a woman who has such a positive reputation in town that both realtors we have worked with have individually told us that in this day and age they don't take on "just any old clients. But if Mrs. _____ _______ has pre-approved you, you're good to go. In my 20+ years (or 30+ years for realtor #1) she has never given me a couple/family pre-approved who wasn't good for it. If she pre-approves you, you're gold to work with. You are basically approved already." This should all comfort me, right? Yeah, hello Ms. Pessimistic My Name is Juliet. Welcome back, I hear you'll be checking in and staying for a while.
- On the house front--close of escrow was predicted by February 28th. We are purchasing a foreclosed home which means Fannie Mae (Government) is the owner. And they contract with a local Title Company to do their "bidding" here in town. Well, after over a week with no updates from our realtor or our lender, we found out the title company was dragging their feet because they were hoping no one would find out a clerical mistake had occurred and the title was TECHNICALLY not in Fannie Mae's name yet. Please cover the eyes and ears of any children nearby--WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFFFFF? You're selling us a home (you've been sending your own hired maintenance crew for raking and mowing, etc that I already met out there one day, so you think you own it as much as we do) but anyway you're selling us a home, that TECHNICALLY you don't own yet? Knock me unconscious people, just do it, I can't take the stress. But at least that was supposed to be done by Monday the 11th. Putting us only about 2 weeks behind and making a February 28 closing date (or at least real close to it) still completely possible. Tuesday the 12th comes and our realtor (lovely man, seriously, but by now his Irish blood is boiling and I think he's resisting the urge to tip some cows, lol) still hasn't heard back and now must call and ream someone out to get an answer. The answer? They never could have had it resolved by the 11th, they were blowing smoke up his angry butt to get him off their backs. Apparently there is a trash lien on the house. Yes, either the former owner, or Fannie Mae as they have been tending it, hasn't paid so many trash fees that the City WILL NOT release the title to Fannie Mae until it is paid in full. More government interference, which means more time. Which means forget getting out of here and moving by Feb/March.
- Two Huge Fears on top of all these others: First) if this trash lien has been out there for so long and the Title Company dropped the ball in paying it to clear the title and get it fair and square in Fannie Mae's name in order to sell this house (which has been on market since mid 2012--quite long for this Las Vegas Market) and has just been sitting back playing computer games all day and hoping no one got the wiser, what else have they screwed up on, overlooked, etc., and are just waiting to see that they can't cover their own asses over anymore? How many more things will arise? Secondly) What was their ultimate plan? They couldn't keep quiet regarding a trash lien (or anything else that might come up, AND PLEASE I BEG YOU ALL TO PRAY NOTHING ELSE DOES) forever. Like I said, the house is a foreclosure It is the Title Company's job to be Fannie Mae's local eyes and ears. And if it wasn't us showing interest, putting down earnest money, getting our offer accepted, and signing a contract, it would have been some other family a week or two later. Did they really think things such as this would never get discovered? Come on now, it just doesn't even make sense.
- Oh, and on top of that, seeing we have to be in our apartment longer, the management is charging us $400 extra for March and then prorated based on that exorbitant rate for April 1-14. But we signed a 60 day notice, so as far as getting through escrow without anymore bumps, bruises, and scrapes, and for hopefully convincing the apartment management to stop trying to milk an already dry cow (the extra money is just not there) prayers, chants, meditations and crossed fingers--WOULD ALL BE GREATLY HELPFUL LADIES! Thanks.
- And my relocating parents, Lady C and Lord C? They spent 4 days here in sunny, chilly, but definitely not frigid (70 here compared to 10 degrees when boarding in Chi-town) to look at apartments two weeks ago. After Las Vegas they were on to Salt Lake City, which is 45 minutes from my sister and brother-in-law. My gut had been saying they were going to choose UT. I was actually fine with it. A little sting feeling like it meant choosing her over me, but I forced past that juvenile thinking. And focused on how UT means more family time, more bonding time for them and Tybalt, yet no doorbell rings and *poof!* there they are on my front stoop, no "The car broke down, can you come jump me 45 minutes away?" no "What do you MEAN you're spending this Sunday with Romeo's mom. We want you here!" Well, guess what, they are now apparently 99.9% sure they have chosen Las Vegas. That unreliable gut of mine.
Sigh, its 3:41, and you know me, re-reading and editing my own work will take me until 4am. *Note, yep, it's 5:19am now, oh how off I was on that one, lol.*
Oh, one thing I forgot is an answer to my anniversary conundrum back in October. Our solution is in the final comment I left. Not bad, but still room for improvement, which I feel should be the soundtrack to my life right now. Hmm, I wonder who I'd get to sing it--I do like Kelly Clarkson. ;)
- Oh, and Harold, F-I-L, returns for three months either February 27 or March 6. "Insert haunting "Law and Order Theme Hear." And I'm done.