Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Exhaustion: 10 Weeks

While my Respite has been back (sssh, don't scare it off) for a couple of days, I thought I would finally get the energy to tackle some of the chores that I've been neglecting for the past... 5 weeks. Unfolded, but clean, laundry, unwiped dirty kitchen counter tops, uncleaned bathrooms, unvacuumed floors all sit taunting me as I ail on the couch. 

So far, at the end of every day around 4pm, my back, my abdomen and my upper thighs (read: butt) ache, cramp, and generally hurt. Putting my legs up and reclining my growing self on the couch seem to be the only relief. Our normal routine is totally thrown, both because I have no energy for anything, and because B is now leaving the house so ridiculously early to get across town for his training. Formerly, our mornings were somewhat leisurely. Of course, I never thought so at the time, but I could focus myself on getting Mia ready for daycare, while B got himself ready for work. Then, they'd both leave, at which point I had my breakfast and coffee, before getting myself ready to leave for work. I never realized how this 45 minutes alone really allowed me some time to relax, put some effort into my hair and make up, and give me energy to get through the day.

Now, B leaves before Mia and I are even awake, and once I do get up (sloooooowly), I am getting myself ready to the background noise of Disney Junior and any requests that Mia may have of me, which... are generally numerous. 

"Mama, I don't like these shorts. I only like pink shorts."

"Mama, are you taking a shower? Mama? Can you hear me? Are you all wet??"

and of course, the numerous: "Mama, I need to go potty!" Only to sit on the potty and do... nothing.

While I technically should have enough time to do my full routine, forget the superfluous stuff, because after a dozen interruptions, there just isn't time for it anymore.

B does most of the pick ups, because Mia has been asking for him in the mornings, and so that I can have a few minutes of rest before diving into the evening routine. But, instead of getting a head start on dinner, (or those pesky chores) I end up laying in bed, longing myself to take a 20 minute nap. I never actually manage to fall asleep, but at least I have 20 minutes of quiet time with my eyes closed before those chores can continue to taunt me. 

B has been almost (ALMOST) as exhausted as I am from his new schedule. He has to be up by 5 every morning in order to get himself out of the door by 6:15 to get across town. While he doesn't have any Mia duty, getting up that early and then dealing with his pregnant wife waking him up at 3am to tell him about her dreams can't be an easy task, either. (PS, this dream was a repeater - We are having a boy! And his name is going to be George!)

No comments:

Post a Comment