Friday, July 11, 2014

It's a...

I was absolutely convinced that I was having a boy. I mean, totally convinced. But, as I've disclaimed before... my instincts are always wrong. I have this theory that women pregnant with girls tend to look less pretty than usual, and women pregnant with boys look prettier than their normal selves during pregnancy. I thought I was looking pretty cute for the past couple of weeks, so I thought... boy. Since unborn sex theories are a whole lot of crap, it looks like mine fits in with the rest of them. 

I was majorly surprised when the ultrasound tech flashed to the area between the legs and I saw a whole lot of blank space. I had to ask her if she was sure. "I'm sure!" She said. Then, the doctor came in to verify the results, and sure enough, he was also quite sure it was a little girl. In that moment though, I pictured Mia with a sister and could not contain my excitement.

A small part of me is sad, of course. I think I'll have a few pangs of mourning for the son I thought I was having, but it's entirely useless to be sad about this kind of thing. The sadness I may feel at most likely never having a son is overshadowed by the absolute joy I feel at the prospect of Mia having a little sister. And so much of it doesn't mean anything - there's not much that I would have wanted to do with a son that I can't do with a daughter, and I'm constantly reminding B of this (his only sadness has to do with the whole "passing the family name" business, which... I don't relate much to -- which also, let's not stereotype too much here, there are about a million reasons a woman might name her children with her own family name...). 

Anyway! Overall, we are super super excited! We have the name narrowed down pretty well, I think. We had always discussed a second daughter's name, and while B refuses to commit because he wants to cover all other possibilities, every other possibility I throw out there, he doesn't like. Also, now that we know it's a girl, I am relieved not to have to buy a whole new wardrobe. Anyone care to contribute what I actually do need to buy for a second kid?

1 comment:

  1. For my second boy I really didn't need to buy anything. so I got to buy a couple things I always wanted with my first pregnancy but never splurged on, like a boppy. And I knew what bottles we liked best so I bought extra of those. then I bought a special stuffed animal that would be baby's very own. aside from diapers, I seriously don't think I bought anything else!!

    Congrats on a second daughter!! Mia will be an awesome big sister and rolemodel!

    ReplyDelete