Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Sleep Wars Cease-Fire

I'd like to say that the Sleep Wars have ended, but I do not feel comfortable until I see Mia sign a treaty. But, we are ever so grateful for the cease-fire that we seem to currently be experiencing. I wrote in Mia's 9 month update just about two weeks ago that our biggest difficulty was sleep. Well, after asking for our pediatrician's advice at her visit the following Monday, we finally had a break through.

Our pediatrician said that she thought it most likely had to do with Mia's return to her own room coinciding with the beginnings of separation anxiety. Mia had been showing signs of it during the last few weeks of my Mother's stay. She'd scream if I didn't go straight to her when I came through the door from work. My reassurances of just washing my hands before I held her being for her own good did nothing to appease her, fancy that. But, our pediatrician said to just... be there until she settles herself down. Not terribly complicated advice.

Put her down for the night, after a bedtime routine, and just... sit there. We brought in a chair, I'd put her down and just sit right next to her, checking facebook on my phone. Once she was calm, I would pat her, tell her goodnight, and walk out of the room. We were told to do this in the middle of the night, also. Simple instruction, but a much more difficult execution in the middle of the night. B and I had two very very sleepless nights in a row, taking turns. On the third night, she woke up once, but fell back asleep once I bundled her up and stuck a pacifier in her mouth. On the fourt night... she. slept. all. night. (B's turn, of course)

Now, at bedtime, I put her down in her crib while she's wide awake witout protest. She snuggles her fuzzy little bear that I rediscovered when I did some reorganizing of her room, and puts herself to sleep. She still usually wakes up at night, but she's just hungry. She eats, and falls right back asleep. B and I are still not getting 6-7 hours straight, but this is definitely progress. She even naps - in the exact same way. Once she seems sleepy, I put her down in a quiet room with a stuffed animal and she sleeps. SLEEPS. At work, at home, in the car, whatever. She sleeps. Progress makes for much MUCH happier parents. With the sleep problem (currently) at bay, it seems like everything else she does is infinitely more adorable, too.





Watch, during her Daddy-weekend, she'll sleep through the night.

1 comment:

  1. If she does sleep through the night, could you please send her over to teach my 6-year old how to do that? I wish I were kidding. ;-)

    ReplyDelete