Monday, March 3, 2014

Bank Manager, JD

My husband, my dearest husband. He and I graduated law school at the same time. We took the Bar Exam, and passed it, at the same time. We got sworn in to the Illinois Bar at the same time.

But he, unlike me, couldn't be unemployed. I didn't find a job until 9 months after law school graduation. I had my parents, my parents condo to get me through. They gave me what I needed to get by. B couldn't wait for an entry-level lawyer position to open up. After spending a few months working retail, he got an opportunity to work for a Big Bank, as an entry level banker. The pay was decent, only slightly less than an entry-level associate at a small firm was paying at the time, and... it was a good job. A banker? That's pretty well-respected, and he felt that he could proudly take the title and go into work every day.

And so he did, working for a Big Company, without any flexibility, but with good benefits It's a great company to work for, really and he's been happy there. Occasionally, he still has his moments of inadequacy. Feeling like he's not doing as well as he should be, that he should try to get back into law. While the 2nd set of student loans is still (and will continue to) haunt us, how can we wish he had done things differently? Without him attending law school, we wouldn't be where we are, we wouldn't have our perfect little Mia.

But last week, B was offered a position as a Branch Manager, something he had decided he wanted to do about 2 years ago. He's been working towards it, sacrificing some of his commission to take on more behind the scenes work, going through several rounds of interviews. He's going to be great at it, and he's so excited! I am also so excited, and I am so, so proud of him. Things are looking good, and hopefully he can continue to grow throughout the next few years at Big Bank. Next time I stop in to make a deposit, I'll just let them know that I'm with the manager. Maybe they'll let me into the safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment