Monday, September 22, 2014

Apple Woes

On Friday, after work, I planned to go to a consignment sale to pick up some clothing for both my 3 year old and my 30 weeker. Since I wasn't going to a part of town that I knew, I had plugged the address into my phone's GPS, and was following its directions when I realized that Siri hadn't spoken to me in a while. I look over and see the white screen of death. The white screen of death that I was all to familiar with, having had this happen to me at least 6 or 7 times in the past three months.

I drove around, pleading with my pregnancy brain to remember the address. By some miracle, I remembered the cross streets, searched for some signs and got myself there. Getting home was a bit of a debacle since I had no idea where the highway was, but I drove in the general direction I knew I needed to get to, and luckily stumbled on some signs to enter the highway I needed. I am really not one of those people who is constantly on their phones -- I use it for communicating. I don't play games, I don't tweet, I don't even read news. I check my email, check facebook (admittedly), instagram, and text and facetime.

I got my phone in the beginning of June. I'm already on my 3rd iPhone 5s. Seriously. They've had to reissue me a new phone twice, once because of this spontaneous shut down and never restarting problem (that's the technical term for it) and once because the camera hardware was damaged for whatever reason. 

B spent three hours on the phone with a combination of AT&T and Apple yesterday, I spent about 3 hours on the phone with Apple this morning, attempted no less than 4 restores, none of which actually 'restored' my phone to any functional level. Apple's solution: send me another 5s. I say, absolutely not.

The definition of insanity, according to Albert Einstein, is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. How am I seriously going to expect that anything different is going to happen if I am sent a 4th 5s? I am absolutely convinced that there is something wrong with the 5s. I'm not being unreasonable -- I said send me any other iPhone model, except the 5s, as long as it has the same amount of memory. 

I think I'm being perfectly reasonable, but this seems to involve many overrides and calls to managers. Current status: acknowledged white screen of death cannot be fixed. Management must authorize non-like replacement.

There's really no point to this blog post, except to keep me from throwing this useless piece of shit against the wall and feeling extremely satisfied by my actions.

Update: 09/23/2014 It's a big fat NO on replacing my 5s with any other model. They can send me a replacement 5s after they've received my broken 5s. You see, you can't have two iPhones in your possession at once, even if the second is non-functional. You don't want to do it that way? OK, you can make an appointment at the Apple store most convenient for you and do the exchange in person. The next available appointment is... Sunday. Oh, that's too late for you? How about an incredibly inconvenient location that your 8 month pregnant self will have to walk about 2 miles to reach? We can see you there on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, after a significant amount of pleading and trying to send me back to Apple, AT&T has offered to send me a Samsung Galaxy S5 for free. Reluctant as I may be... it looks like I'm making the switch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment