Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Swimming Pools & Accepted!

I’ve been feeling infinitely better since I last posted. It seems like I really did just have to get it out of my system. Although I have yet to get out of bed the half hour early that I vowed to in order to get a quick workout-dvd in, I did go to the pool on Sunday and swim a few laps. When we were apartment hunting, one of the items that were on the “must” list was a pool. As I mention in “About me”, I lived in a few warm places growing up. In Manila, we had a house with a pool in the backyard. In Thailand, we lived in apartment buildings and hotels that always had a pool just a few floors down. I distinctly remember coming home from school and basically running down to the pool area every single day (when it wasn’t raining) for a couple of hours before settling down to do homework. A part of me thought that would basically be my life for the 9 months it’s warm in Vegas, but it hasn’t been the case at all.


B and I took a full week off to move from Chicago to Las Vegas. B insisted that we drive for 14 hours per day for two days in a row, rather than take the 3 days and make it a bit more leisurely, so by the time we got to our apartment, we still had 5 days before we were to return to work. I imagined that we would spend this time at the pool, and we tried, but Vegas is a funny place. Even in October it was about 95 degrees and sunny, which I thought was perfect pool weather. But, unless you’re in the heart of summer, the temperature actually dips into the 60s overnight in the spring and fall, which makes the pool water super cold! I would go in when I was 9 months pregnant, since it was already hot at the end of May, and Mia would kick and squirm from the temperature drop. Another strange symptom of Vegas dry heat is that if you go into the pool and come out, the water evaporates off your skin so very quickly that you are freezing!
With that said, a pool is still on our “must” list when thinking about buying a house, or more realistically, renting a house in the coming year. When it’s the heart of summer, there is nothing like lounging in the sun by the pool after having taken a dip. I absolutely love the feel of the sun on my skin, and every time I come back into my apartment after lounging by the pool, it feels like I’m coming back to my hotel room at a resort. Until I have to make my own dinner, that is. Even with my neighbor kids running around and splashing, Las Vegas beats Chicago 100% in the weather category.

I already told you about how I applied to join a Mommy meetup group here in Las Vegas. I applied on Wednesday, and when I hadn’t heard anything on Friday, I got nervous and looked around for others. I found one that also required an application, so I figured, I’d apply to that one too. The questions were a lot more basic, so I was a lot less worried. On Saturday, I got notices that I was a member of both. Oops! Now, I have to choose. I have RSVP’d “yes” to events at both meetup groups and will decide after that. I'm leaning towards the group that is based in the neighborhood that we want to eventually want to buy a house in (which we are on the outskirts of right now). Dress for the job you want, not the one you have, right? I’ll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment