Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Man Diets

Today is my friday! One of my best high school friends is coming to visit tomorrow through the weekend, and I spent the first two days of the week making sure I wouldn't have to come in Thursday morning as I initially thought I would. The good (and not so good) news is that I did manage to get everything checked off my to-do list. So, with the exception of my 15 remaining hours of CLE to be completed by the 30th, I'm free as a bird (so long as I'm within earshot of my the extremely fascinating gentleman speaking through my computer about the complexities of e-discovery).

Anyway, about three weeks ago, I started diligently logging my food intake using My Fitness Pal (thanks BeeBee!) Evidently, I had turned into a very annoying person, quickly searching my App for the calorie count of quite a few of the things B was putting in his mouth. "Did you just eat that whole bag of popcorn?? That's ---- calories!" I'm down three pounds, which is not a huge accomplishment, but at least shows that my goal of one pound per week is manageable, sustainable, and that so far, it's working. Bonus, it has also been effective at annoying my husband into downloading the app for himself and logging his own food intake!

So, based on B's height and weight and goal (the same as mine, 1 lb per week), he's allowed 2100 calories a day. That seems awfully high to me, seeing as I'm allowed 1400. But, my Fitness Pal is not wrong. Everytime I diet, I am always begging him to follow along. "It'll be so much easier for me to do this if you're doing it with me!". Well, not so when your husband sits down at the end of the day, checks his iPhone and sees that he's got x amount of calories left over after dinner. "OH, let me just eat some of these twizzlers left over from the movies on Saturday!" Great, enjoy those twizzlers while I sip my crystal light. Be careful what you ask for!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! It has helped me feel so much more in control during this pregnancy (even if my calories are higher right now!) Totally opened up my eyes to portion control. And yes, I get the husband thing is frustrating. I know all about that, but you are doing this for you and your body, and it will be worth it! Just make sure you don't take your calories too low and if you start exercising to take that into account too. Your body needs good fuel. The link I gave you is also good. I would also like to point out I hate to sound like a know it all and I really know nothing, but all of this is coming from people who I personally know who have lost incredible weight over 2-3 years in a sustainable manner.

    Now if only I could get my husband counting with me! My iPhone attachment to my app wouldn't bug him as much!

    ReplyDelete